What Can My Member of Parliament Do For Me?

We provide assistance to constituents on matters relating to the federal government, its departments and agencies. We can be an intermediary between you and the ministry, department or agency and will work to solve a problem or get your questions answered.

We are unable to override decisions made by the government, for example a ruling on eligibility for Employment Insurance, or expedite the processing of applications if they are within the usual processing time expected.  However, we will do our best to bring your issue to resolution and when we cannot, ensure that the reasons for a decision are explained, and of avenues of appeal or reconsideration, where applicable, are made known to you.

Areas of federal services where we can provide assistance include but are not limited to:

Passport Canada – Reviewing applications, inquiring on the status of an application, requesting transfers to Passport Canada offices, couriering passport applications weekly to the Passport Canada office in Gatineau

Citizenship and Immigration - Reviewing applications, answering general questions, inquiring on the status of an application

Employment Insurance - Delays in payment, problems resulting from miscommunication, audit disputes

Canada Revenue Agency - Problems resulting from audits and overdue taxes, objections with the tax system, GST disputes, Child Tax Benefit issues.

Canada Pension Plan (including CPP Disability), Old Age Security, Guaranteed Income Supplement - Application assistance, status of payment, delayed CPP disability claims, claim denials

Veteran's Affairs - Dismissal issues, information on veterans benefits and services

Canada Post - Mail delays, ad mail complaints, mail re-direction issues

For a complete list of other federal offices for which we may be able to serve you, please check the list of federal government contacts below.

Other Services

  • Commissioner of Oath for federal government documents (please call in advance)
  • Certify “True Copies” for the purposes of applications to government services (originals must be brought to the office)
  • Certificates and letters of congratulations to constituents or other Canadians who are having a special birthday or anniversary, and to groups holding special events or requiring support for community project, to new Canadians and Canadians volunteering overseas
  • Contact with offices of the Prime Minister, Governor General / Queen for congratulatory letters
  • Information on travel document requirements for foreign travel (www.travel.gc.ca)
  • Literature for schools and students on Canada and its Parliament
  • Speaking engagements at local schools and other organizations
  • Presenting petitions to the House of Commons (please ensure the petition meets the requirements outlined on the Parliament of Canada website - http://www.parl.gc.ca/About/House/PracticalGuides/Petitions/petitionsPG2008__toc-e.htm)
  • Information and application forms for Order of Canada, Order of Military Merit, Royal Victorian Order, Bravery Decoration, Meritorious Service Decorations
  • Copies of Bills, Amendments, Hansard or other House of Commons publications
  • Answering inquiries about government policy

Services we are unable to provide:

  • Mailing or sending by courier, applications to government departments or agencies (Passport Applications excepted)
  • Services of a Notary Public
  • Processing foreign passport applications

MP constituency services are provided free of charge and on a confidential basis.

Federal Government Contacts (Provincial and Municipal contacts below):


Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada www.aadnc-aandc.gc.ca

Agriculture and Agrifood Canada www.agr.gc.ca

Auditor General of Canada www.oag-bvg.gc.ca


Bank of Canada www.bankofcanada.ca

Business Development Bank of Canada www.bdc.ca


Canada Business www.canadabusiness.ca

Canada Border Services Agency www.cbsa.gc.ca

Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca

Canada Post www.canadapost.ca

Canadian Radio-television Telecommunications Commission www.crtc.gc.ca

Canada Revenue Agency www.cra.gc.ca

Canadian Embassies and Consulates voyage.gc.ca/assistance/embassies

Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA) www.acdi-cida.gc.ca

Citizenship and Immigration Canada www.cic.gc.ca

Correctional Services Canada www.csc-scc.gc.ca

Consulting With Canadians www.consultingcanadians.gc.ca


Department of Justice www.justice.gc.ca

Department of National Defence www.forces.gc.ca

Directory of Federal Government Departments and Agencies www.canada.gc.ca/depts/major/depind-eng.html


Elections Canada www.elections.ca

Environment Canada www.ec.gc.ca

Environment Canada Weather Office www.weatheroffice.gc.ca

Export Development Canada www.edc.ca


FedDev Ontario www.feddevontario.gc.ca

Finance Canada www.fin.gc.ca

Financial Consumer Agency of Canada www.fcac-acfc.gc.ca

Fisheries and Oceans Canada www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Foreign Affairs and International Trade www.dfait.gc.ca


Government of Canada www.canada.gc.ca

Government of Canada Publications publications.gc.ca

Governor General of Canada www.gg.ca


Health Canada www.hc-sc.gc.ca

Heritage Canada www.pch.gc.ca

Human Resources and Skills Development Canada www.hrsdc.gc.ca


Industry Canada www.ic.gc.ca

International Joint Commission (IJC) www.ijc.org


Library and Archives Canada www.bac-lac.gc.ca


Natural Resources Canada www.nrcan.gc.ca


Office of the Conflict of Interest and Ethics Commissioner www.ciec-ccie.gc.ca

Office of the Federal Ombudsman for Victims of Crime www.victimsfirst.gc.ca

Office of the Superintendant of Financial Institutions www.osfi-bsif.gc.ca


Parks Canada www.pc.gc.ca

Parliament of Canada www.parl.gc.ca

Passport Canada www.passport.gc.ca

Prime Minister of Canada www.pm.gc.ca

Privacy Commissioner of Canada www.priv.gc.ca

Public Health Agency of Canada www.phac-aspc.gc.ca

Public Safety Canada www.publicsafety.gc.ca

Public Works and Government Services Canada www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca


Royal Canadian Mint www.mint.ca

Royal Canadian Mounted Police www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca


Service Canada www.servicecanada.gc.ca

Statistics Canada www.statcan.gc.ca

Status of Women Canada www.swc-cfc.gc.ca

Supreme Court of Canada www.scc-csc.gc.ca


Taxpayers’ Ombudsman www.oto-boc.gc.ca

Treasury Board of Canada www.tbs-sct.gc.ca


Veterans Affairs Canada www.veterans.gc.ca


For matters relating to the Government of Ontario, please contact our Member of Provincial Parliament (MPP) Garfield Dunlop – (705) 326-3246 in the Orillia area; (705) 526-8671 in the Midland area.


For matters relating to the municipal or band government, please contact your municipality or band office:

Beausoleil First Nation - www.chimnissing.ca

Chippewas of Rama First Nation - www.mnjikaning.ca

City of Orillia - www.orillia.ca

Town of Midland - www.town.midland.on.ca

Town of Penetanguishene - www.town.penetanguishene.on.ca

Township of Oro-Medonte - www.oro-medonte.ca

Township of Ramara - www.ramara.ca

Township of Severn - www.townshipofsevern.com

Township of Tay - www.tay.township.on.ca

Township of Tiny - www.township.tiny.on.ca